Monday, August 11, 2014

oaked out

Day 91 ~ 1468.7 - 1489.6

Poison Oak, Poison Oak, Poison Oak.  It consumed our minds today as we traipsed through corridors of it.  At times, the plant was draped across the trail.  It slowed us tremendously.    My eyes and mind tired, and it seemed that they couldn't keep up with my hiking pace.  I couldn't differentiate the plants before I brushed past them.  Eventually, every plant looked the same.  Total. Mental. Exhaustion.

Our day ended shorter than we had planned.  The plan was to cook dinner at the last water source that we would pass today, and move on. We arrived to the water source; a footbridge between tall and steep canyon walls led us over a creek.  Between those canyon walls was an irresistable, deep and clear swimming hole.  It could serve as refreshment and hopefully wash off any Poison Oak toxins that may be on our skin. While I performed my cooking duties, Moonshine went down for a swim.  In the meantime, Thor and Ferntoe arrived.  After dinner, we hung around chatting and decided that we couldn't pass up such a beautiful place to camp.  I hadn't yet gotten in the water, so as dusk was approaching, I laid down in the rushing rapids.  I kicked and hollered like a child.  I felt so free and invigorated. We camped under the stars aside the rushing stream.  A perfect ending to a not so perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment