Wednesday, September 24, 2014

always take candy from strangers

Day 124~ miles 2077.5 - 2107.5

The morning's elevation profile looked so easy, so we started out hiking real fast.  Thirty minutes or less into hiking, I tripped over a rock going full speed and launched into the air and flew several feet before I hit the ground.  I landed on my hip, which fortunately still has some padding left.  "Are you OK?," Moonshine asked; I could detect the worry in his voice.  All I could do was laugh hysterically, which quickly turned into a laugh-cry.  I was in pain, but I was not injured.  Just like a small child, I was probably more scared than anything, but the image of me launching through the air was hysterical to me.  Moonshine was relieved, and he started laughing as well, as my laugh-cry continued.  Several minutes later I was finally able to get up, and I laugh-cried my way down the trail.

We ran into a super sweet mother and daughter out on a day hike around the beautiful Timothy Lake.  They were familiar with the PCT, and the daughter hopes to hike it after high school.  After chatting for a few, they asked if we wanted some chocolate; bingo!  They'd said the magic word and we hit the jackpot.  They happily unloaded their fancy Whole Foods chocolates and cookies on us.  We walked down the trail awhile, then took a break and devoured all of the delicious goodies.

We had lunch with Can Can and Bandit, and jokingly discussed hiking all the way to Timberline Lodge tonight, 15 more miles.  After lunch, our pace was better than expected, maybe we could make it to the lodge, though we couldn't commit to it.  I think we both had food and beer on the brain, as we got closer to the lodge, we realized that we may actually be able to make it by dark.  Let's do it, we agreed.  Yup, the day after I did my first 30 mile day and claimed I would never do it again, I did it again. The last mile was torturous: we could see the majestic Timberline Lodge as we hiked up a super steep incline of soft sand. We setup our tent in. stand of trees a short distance from the lodge and headed inside the huge castle-like structure. We arrived to find many hikers, including Can Can and Bandit, and we joined them for a tasty, but expensive, dinner.  We had a great time catching up and hearing about each others' hikes before we headed out into the darkness to find our tent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment