Monday, September 22, 2014

watch what you say

Day 122 ~ miles 2024.6 - 2047.5       

The alarm sounded and I knew we had to get up and make decent mileage today.  I peered out of the mesh tent wall to see a beautiful pink and orange sunrise, right beside the majestic Mt. Jefferson.  Back to sleep I quickly went, fortunately only for 30 minutes.  The morning miles passed quickly, as we'd hoped for, as we walked toward Mt. Jefferson.  We saw a wildfire from above, a couple of miles away from the trail, as a small scouting plane flew around in circles overhead repeatedly. 

A real ass-kicking climb consumed most of the day after lunch.  Our fitness level is so optimal that we can usually just breeze right through a thousand+ foot climb, barely getting winded.  This ascent took a little more effort.  When we finally reached the top and went over the mountain, we were surprised to see a large amount of snow on the North side of it.  Never did I imagine that I would be walking along in the snow in August, being swarmed by mosquitos!  While hiking through the snow, I noticed a handprint.  "HA, HA, someone fell," I said aloud to Moonshine.   The words were barely out of my mouth when I lost my footing and slipped, recovered, only to lose my balance again and fall on my butt, arms flailing all the while.  Once I realized that I was OK, we both burst into laughter.I suppose I should watch what I say! 

The evening miles were much more painstaking that the morning ones.  We didn't hike as far as we'd hoped, but the day was full of some absolutely incredible scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment