Friday, May 16, 2014

nursing an injury

Day 28 ~ miles 454.5 - 468.2

We reluctantly pulled ourselves away from Hiker Heaven around 9:30am.  It was hot already, and the road walk out of Agua Dulce wasn't too pleasant.  All of the cabin crew had headed out much earlier than us to be sure to make it to Casa de Luna, 24 miles up the trail, for dinner (the Andersons host hikers at their home, Casa de Luna).  We weren't sure that we would make it to the Anderson's, but we would at least attempt to.

As we hiked, a familiar discomfort appeared above my right inner knee.  I suddenly remembered all of the pain I experienced walking into Agua Dulce, which didn't make a peep on my day off.  The pain got progressively worse and it became much more  difficult to hike.  The pain brought me to tears and nearly to my knees as I hobbled along.  I was terrified as so many thoughts raced through my head; will this be a hike ending injury?  what if I can't walk tomorrow?   How will I get to a doctor?

We decided a long break would be good, I took some vitamin I and elevated my legs.  After a long rest, my leg showed promise, but upon hiking, the pain returned and increased in intensity.  We took frequent breaks in between my bouts of hobbling at a snail's pace, and called it a day sooner than we had anticipated.

Hopefully more Vitamin I, massage, and elevating the leg during the night will improve the situation.  Guess we won't be making it to the Anderson's.

2 comments:

  1. You know, this sounds like something I developed out of the blue on a hike last year. A super sharp pain that's kind of on the upper inside of the knee, next to the knee cap - to the point where you have to basically force yourself to take another step? It wasn't that I couldn't place weight on it or anything - I could do that just fine. It just hurt so much!! I've been trying to determine what it was ever since.

    I developed it about midway through day two of a three day out-and-back and was absolutely miserable the remaining day and a half, gulping vitamin I and forcing myself to walk out.

    If it gives you any hope, it disappeared within two or three days of finishing the hike - but I still don't know what caused it or how to avoid it. I haven't been on a hike of that length since, and I am a little worried that it might come back when I walk that far again.

    I developed it after power walking through a miles long sandy wash on a super hot day where I definitely didn't hydrate enough, so at first I thought it was a super weird cramp. Maybe all that unstable footing while walking super fast? I just don't know.

    I hope yours get resolved fast. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Sis I hope you are ok you are a tough chick you are a Brown so it's a given but don't over do it, take care of yourself ,love you girl

    ReplyDelete