Friday, May 9, 2014

regrettin' it

Day 20  ~ miles 329 - 347

So it's the big day!  We did it, we traveled to the Golden Arches in search of hot, fatty, greasy goodness, and boy did we get it. 

I drank a Starbucks Via instant iced coffee first thing this morning - my first coffee on the trail (now accepting donations of Via instant coffee and iced coffee :D).  The caffeine helped me power up the trail to the destination. 

We arrived to the McDonald's around 11am, and hikers had already partially filled the place.  During our extended dining experience, many more hikers trickled in, taking over almost the entire restaurant.

Here's the lowdown on food ingested:

Sideways D:
Big Mac
2 medium french fries
Grilled onion and cheddar burger
Large chocolate shake
2 cups of Coke

(Ugh, before the trail I wasn't really even eating meat at all.  Now my body screams protein, so I have caved to my carnivorous cravings...but never again at McD's.)

Moonshine:
3 McDoubles
Large french fry
Medium iced coffee
Large chocolate shake

(We also each carried out a quarter pounder to eat for dinner)

Why?!?!?!  After all of that food...we felt HORRIBLE.  We ended up hanging around in McD's until around 2:00.  It was so difficult to hike, feeling so disgustingly overstuffed.  Iur pqxks were also ridiculously heavy, with the next water source not for 22 miles. We hiked off with Joker and Kelsey and made a new slogan....ba da ba ba baaa, regrettin' it ( instead of "I'm lovin it", get it?)

Luckily Joker thought to check the weather, and informed us that on the ridge where we were headed, the forecast called for potential rain/snow/high winds.  We decided to play it safe and stay the night down in the valley, so we only did about 5 miles after leaving McD's and got to camp really early, with lots of time to relax.  The entire cabin crew camped there also.  We basically had to force the quarter pounders down.  May have been my first and last McDonald's experience on the trail.

And a couple of fun facts: 
We walked along the San Andreas fault today.
(For Jimmy and Le) We walked along a section of historic Route 66!

1 comment:

  1. I think one of the worst post town stops for me on the AT was after eating McDonald's in Pennsylvania at, oh, that gap that's exposed from the mine smelting. It was paired with humidity and then a rain shower, and I thought I was going to die. I think it is the Mickey D's.

    ReplyDelete