Saturday, June 28, 2014

no more boot

Day 59 ~miles 942.6 - 960.5

The short mileage day and time with friends was great for my foot and morale, but it's really time to get back to business.  We haven't had a strong hiking day in awhile.  I know that I should be resting, or taking it a little easier, but I have endured this foot pain for nearly 300 miles of trail, and I can continue to do so.  There's also a chance that my injury may not even be a stress fracture; most of the time a stress fracture isn't obvious on an x-ray, and mine was no exception.  I'll listen to my body and we'll do what we need to do, but I'm not nearly ready to call it quits.  At this point, my foot is actually feeling quite a bit better.  Walking with pain for so long, I adjusted my gait so that walking caused less pain.  By compensating, it screwed up my ankle and entire foot, and eventually I even had slight pain in my hip.  By taking it slow and wearing the boot when I could, all other issues have basically been resolved; now pain only remains at the initial injury site.  All that being said, I'm getting rid of the boot.   I think the additional weight of the thing on my pack may do more harm than good. 

I happily mailed my boot to Virginia, excited for my pack to become 3+ pounds lighter, and we hit the trail around 10.  So many people were out and about in Yosemite, though as we walked deeper into the woods, the crowds thinned.  We were checked for the first time for our PCT permits and bear canisters by a NPS law enforcement ranger, we passed inspection. 

The terrain was moderately easy, as we passed by incredible waterfalls and rounded stone peaks.  We arrived to camp fairly late, but were happy to have put in decent miles for such a late start.  We're camped with Pedi, Soapbox, and some other hikers.  We gathered around a small fire for a short time, but even that couldn't keep us warm enough on this frigid evening, so ino the sleeping bags we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment