Saturday, June 28, 2014

too much negativity

Day 57 ~ miles 917 - 933

Our morale was a little improved today.  We meandered around several lakes, and encountered lots of folks out for day hikes and section hikes.  We talked to many, including some thru-hikers, and many inquired about my boot.  It sort of sticks out like a sore thumb strapped onto the back of my pack.  Most people were pretty negative, saying things like, "Oh well, maybe you can finish your hike next year," or "At least you made it this far."  We spoke with a father and daughter who were surpisingly positive and encouraging, and they actually were both on the mend from stress fractures as well.  I wish they knew how appreciated their optimistic words and outlook were; they pretty much made my day. 

We hiked oved Donahue Pass under a gray sky and through chilly winds.  Beyond the pass, the terrain flattened out from the rockpile that it had been, so I put on my boot.  Sure enough, as soon as I did, the trail was back to rocks.  We descended into the valley, a bit further than I would have liked.  Our guidebook warns of serious bear activity, but we are camping here anyway.  Hoping for no bear encounters tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment