Saturday, June 28, 2014

P.U.D.S

Day 60 ~ miles 960.5 - 977.7

It was a bitter cold night (and morning), which makes it really difficult to get out of our warm, cozy, coccoon-like sleeping bags.  So we got a pretty late start.

The hiking today was reminiscent of the Appalachian Trail.  Lots of P.U.D.S., as they are often referred to (pointless ups and downs).  You may think that this is quite common when trekking through the mountains, but the PCT is, for the most part, usually very gently graded.  Ascents and descents are often long and gentle.  Well, not today they weren't.  I guess they're really not pointless, as they get us from A to B, or canyon to canyon as was the case today; they're just exhausting.

In other news, I swallowed a bug of some sort today, when it flew right into the back of my throat.  It triggered my gag reflex, as I heaved repeatedly until I could drink some water.  In hindsight, it was hilarious. Also, while crossing a log over a stream, I had a weird bout of anxiety that caused me to totally freeze up (how many times have I crossed a stream on a log?!) .  My heart was racing!  Eventually, I was able to cross, and laugh about it.  I blamed it on the caffiene I had with lunch.

Hoping for less P.U.D.S., bugs, and log crossings tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment