Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Sideways gets the boot

Day 55 ~ another zero in Mammoth Lakes

We reluctantly checked out of our hotel, after requesting a late check out.  We had too much fun last night!  We were awaiting a phone call from the doctor to let me know when I could pick up my boot.  What to do in the meantime....eat!  We finally heard from the doctor and walked across town to pick up my new magic shoe.  The thing is big, mid-calf high, and heavy, about 3 or 4 pounds.  I immediately put it on, adjusted it properly, and fastened it up.  It felt amazing!  To walk and not have my foot or ankle or anything move or bend was such a relief. 

Now, to get back to the trail.  We had a feeling this would be difficult, as the trail is way up at the very end of a curvy, mountainous road.  As we waited at the town trolley stop, which would take us a little closer to the trail, we saw a bunch of hikers who had stayed in the condo last night; we thought were leaving town today.  The said they'd tried to get a ride for 2 hours, and were giving up.  It was late afternoon, and we figured we'd likely have trouble getting out of town as well. 

We all reserved a campsite at the Forest Service campground right in town.  I think this worked out for the best, as I can rest my foot for the day.  Since we decided to stay, we had the opportunity/time to visit the Mammoth Brewing Company.  We had been daydreaming of this for hundreds of miles, but were too busy yesterday to stop in.  So glad we made it! 

We feel anxious to get back to the trail.  We feel trapped in this expensive, character-lacking tourist town, with no way out.  We better find a way out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment